My name is Ankit and I am an Entrepreneur. I am based out of Kota, Rajasthan and have built a profitable SAAS company from a third tier city in India.
I have bootstrapped two companies to profitability. I have learned a lot in the process and I plan to share my learning through this blog.
This is my main focus right now. SpcieGems takes 90% of my time.
At SpiceGems, we create SAAS products to help Ecommerce Entrepreneurs across the world. More specifically, we create Shopify apps. As of now, our customer tally stands at 2000 and growing.
I started SpiceGems with Varun in October 2015. Since then we have grown steadily. It has been a challenging as well as rewarding journey. We still face challenges related to scaling of the team. I have learned a lot during these years and hope to share some of my learning via this blog.
I also run https://webriti.com. We sell wordpress theme and plugins.
Webriti also have 1000’s of customers. I started Webriti in 2011 with my partner Priyanshu. The initial days were tough but slowly we have managed to carve out a niche in the wordpress theme space.
Education and Past Experience.
I did my B Tech from IIT Mumbai. I passed out in 2005.
From 2006 to 2011 I studied at the “School of Life”. I was driven by naivety. I tried loads of things and failed at most of them.
Even though I did not achieve anything significant during these year, the experience I earned was invaluable. It helped in shaping my perspective towards life and business.
Here is a list of things which I did during those 5 years.
- Built a Home Automation System for a Canada Based Company just after passing out of college. That Company did not see light of the day. However I did make a decent Pocket Money from the project
- Moved Back to my native place and started a company with my relative. We created Data Capture and Automation solution for Enterprises. We even bagged a project to install PNR Enquiry System at 3 Railway Station in UP. But sadly we realized that creating a tool and selling THAT Tool to the government are 2 different things. We ran out of money and had to shut down the company.
- After that moved back to Mumbai and built a job board, JobYantra ( now defunct). Idea was to partner with startup blogs and target passive candidates. Secured a couple of partnerships, suffered a few road blocks and lost motivation. Closed it down.
- Spent 2 Months in Dubai . Consulted Dubai Based EDC on Fleet Management System. Thanks to my Seniors who trusted me with this opportunity, in spite of my past failures.
- Consulted a Design Agency for Tata Nano Launch Website. Saw first hand the monster called Corporate Payment Cycle. It took 3 months to get the payment. It was then I decided to never pursue a Service / Consulting Business Model
- Between all this also Prototyped a Wood Based Gasifier. Idea was to retrofit existing diesel gensets to create gas powered gensets. It was more of an experiment than a business venture
- Researched and studied the PET recycling Industry. Traveled throughout the Rajasthan and met dozens of Kabadi Wallah. Again , it was more of an academic exercise
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to connecting with you.
Here is my Linked in Profile in case you want to know more about me.